There are lots of different ways to volunteer. You just need to know where to look.
Find opportunities near me
Your local Volunteer Centre can help. Their advisers can chat to you about what you want to do, and help you find a role to suit you.
You can also try:
COVID-19 volunteering opportunities
Volunteer Glasgow have information on how you can volunteer to help and support others during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Volunteers aged 16-30
Project Scotland matches you with a placement, where you can develop skills and make a positive contribution in your community.
The Saltire Awards are the Scottish Government's way of celebrating, recognising and rewarding young volunteers in Scotland. You can gain nationally-recognised certificates, signed by Scottish Government Ministers, for the volunteering you do.
If you volunteer through either of these schemes, you can also bag some Young Scot Rewards points.
- If you’re aged between 18 and 30, you can volunteer throughout Europe with the European Voluntary Service. Your fares and expenses will be paid for
- Voluntary Service Overseas matches your skills to organisations which serve people living in poverty
- Xchange Scotland and the International Voluntary Service can help both you find a short-term or long-term placement abroad. However, both organisations charge a fee to use the service
- British Council has information on working and volunteering abroad, including an opportunity to teach young people English in Ukraine
Why not take a look at our information about gap years?
Sports and culture
- Try the Sport Scotland website to find opportunities in your area, local teams and organisations
- Contact museums in your local area, or your local council or arts organisation
- The National Museums Scotland website also has information on the roles available with their venues
Health and wellbeing
Events like fun days, bucket collections, festivals and sponsored walks need lots of volunteers to help visitors, answer questions and give directions. Volunteer Scotland also lets you find opportunities linked to events like this.
If there's a particular charity you're interested in, browse their website or get in touch to find out what’s coming up.