Medical School Glasgow Access Programme (GAP)
University of Glasgow
MEDICAL SCHOOL GLASGOW ACCESS PROGRAMME (GAP): - The Undergraduate Medical School at the University of Glasgow is committed to the development and retention of a community of medical students reflective of the wider society, which they will eventually serve. Through GAP we will offer a proposed expansion and enhancement of these activities which will draw upon our extensive experience to deliver a bespoke pre-medical programme that provides the necessary skills in basic science, communication and professionalism together with immersive experiential opportunity in a clinical context. Our programme has been designed to realise in full the Scottish Government’s vision of equitable access to medical school.
AIMS OF THE GAP:
• To equip students with the fundamental knowledge in science and competence in the relevant methods of scientific investigation.
• To provide students with a basic introduction to the study of Medicine
• To introduce students to the use of virtual learning environments, on-line scientific research, word processing and presentation skills.
• To develop transferable, intellectual, interpersonal and practical skills which may be of advantage for further study or in a wide range of employment.
• To develop in students the flexibility to adapt to change throughout their working lives.
- Medicine (general and para-medical)
- Health studies
Scottish Higher minimum entry requirements:
Entry to the programme is restricted to applicants recognised by the University within widening participation, who have obtained a minimum of Scottish Higher of AABB or equivalent (with preference given to those with Higher Chemistry and Biology and one from Physics or Maths), or have completed the Scottish Widening Access Programme through the Further Education route. All candidates under consideration will normally be interviewed. Requirements will be weighted towards applicants from MD20 postcode, or have been through the REACH Programme, SWAP Access to Medicine, or who are care-leavers, or otherwise confirmed as eligible for GAP by the Scottish Funding Council. Candidates in S6 will be expected to pass all courses undertaken in their S6 programme of study.