Inverness College UHI
A wide range of businesses, from sole traders to multi-nationals, are increasingly reliant on staff to organise and help run the day-to-day flow of information and people. A career in administration has advanced to include a wide variety of roles including administrative and supervisory roles. This course will prepare you for a career in administration, providing a good basis for either moving directly into employment or possible progression onto HNC Administration and IT.
You will prepare and process a range of business documentation, such as agendas, letters, invoices, travel itineraries and petty cash. Consistently, you will be developing your organisational skills, learning how to prioritise work and taking initiative to resolve issues and complete projects on time.
- Word Processing: You will produce a range of business documentation using Microsoft Word.
- Front of Office Skills (Reception): Learn the skills required to work in a front of office environment, ie meeting and greeting visitors, dealing with enquiries and being generally aware of what is happening in the organisation.
- Central Services (Administrative Systems and Services): This unit covers administrative systems and central services such as handling mail, printing and customer service.
- Handling Business Documents: In this unit you will complete financial business documents for selling and purchasing goods and process claims for payment.
- Managing Your Time and Resources: Employers expect their administrative staff to be excellent organisers, very good at coordinating and prioritising, able to work with the minimum of supervision and able to show initiative. This Unit focuses on ‘soft’ skills such as personal effectiveness and time management.
- IT for Administrators: The will develop your basic IT skills using word processing, spreadsheets and databases to create and edit business documents.
- Communications: This is a fundamental skill that will be developed throughout the course.
In addition to the subjects detailed above we also offer
- Event Organisation – helps develop team, problem solving and organsational skills.
- Researching and Preparing Presentations – a useful skill to have in any organisation.
- Medical Terminology - particularly valuable for administrative roles within the health sector.
- Work Experience – for many of our students, this short work placement is one of the highlights of the course. It is a great way to find out about an area of administration that you are considering for your career.
- You may be able to progress onto HNC/HND Administration & Information Technology
- Possible employment in roles such as an administrative assistant, office assistant and receptionist in a rnage of sectors including finance, healthcare, HR, hospitality, IT, marketing, retail and the public sector. .
Four National 4s at pass, including English A personal statement reflecting your desire to work in this field. Applications are encouraged from mature students who may not have formal qualifications but have skills required to meet the demands of the course.Additional selection requirements:Entry to the course is based on you:- Meeting the above entry requirements, and Attending a course information and selection day
1st Aug 2022
Inverness College UHI
1 Inverness Campus
Who to contact
+44 (0)1463 273000