Andrew Campbell is finishing his fifth year at school and is looking for his first job. He’s applying to do a Modern Apprenticeship in joinery. He doesn’t have specific experience in the field but does have some technical qualifications from school and has work experience too.
Have a look at how Andrew has tailored his CV and cover letter to the job description below.
The job description
Joinery Modern Apprenticeship
About the role
You’ll be working with the Company as part of a team building new homes. The Modern Apprenticeship will last four years. During that time you’ll be developing your skills on the job and working alongside qualified tradespeople. You’ll also attend college regularly and work towards a qualification in construction.
- Helping to fit floor and roof joists, roof timbers, staircases, partition walls and door and window frames
- Work as part of a team to ensure work is completed to a high standard and on time
- Understand relevant legislation and health and safety procedures
You should have:
- Good practical skills and an interest in learning a craft
- A good eye for detail
- The ability to follow technical drawings and plans
- Good maths skills for measuring and working out quantities and angles
- The ability to work both as part of a team and on your own
The cover letter
1 The Lane
Dear Mrs Black
Joinery Modern Apprenticeship
I am writing to apply for the Joinery Modern Apprenticeship that was advertised on The Company website. I have also included my CV for your consideration.
I am interested in the position as I love to make things from wood and I want to learn more about the craft. I also think that working for The Company would be a great opportunity. It would be a chance to learn from more experienced tradespeople who have worked on a range of different projects including housing developments and the new shopping centre.
I think that you should consider my application as I have a good eye for detail. I am able to follow technical drawings and plans which I have learned from studying design and manufacture at school. I have also achieved a Construction Conference Certificate and the school prize for Construction Crafts. I am expected to achieve a National 5 pass in maths which will be useful when measuring out quantities and angles.
I love working as part of a team which I had to do as part of a computing project in school. We had to work together to produce a presentation and present this to the rest of the class. I was able to see what it is like to be part of a team in a working environment during work experience at BSB Architecture. Equally, I also like to work on my own and do so regularly as a paper deliverer with the Local Newsagent.
I look forward to hearing from you to discuss the role further.
1 The Lane, The Village, Scotland
Tel No: 01001 001 000 Email: email@example.com
I am in my final year of school and I am keen to complete a construction apprenticeship in joinery. I am interested in joinery as I have always been good at making things. My favourite subject at school is design and manufacture where I made a table. I also won the school prize for this. I have a keen eye for detail and good maths skills for working out measurements.
- I can read technical drawings and interpret information from 2D to 3D
- I’m good at working with my hands and making things
- I can work well in a team and on my own
- I have good communication skills developed from my work experience
The High School, The Village - August 2010 – present
SCQF Level 5
- National 5 Design and Manufacture
- National 5 Maths
- National 5 Art and Design
- National 5 Spanish
- National 5 Computing Science
- Duke of Edinburgh Leadership Award
SCQF Level 4
- National 4 English
- National 4 Geography
- National 4 Science
- National Progression Award Construction Craft and Technician
Local Newsagent, The Village - June 2012 to present
- I am responsible for the delivery of around 70 newspapers every day
- I have to ensure that each customer receives the correct paper and it is delivered to their door on time
BSB Architecture and Design, The City - October 2014
- During a week’s work experience I was given the opportunity to deal with incoming calls, take messages and transfer calls to the appropriate person or department
- I attended meetings where designs were discussed which gave me an interesting insight into the design process
- I took part in a site visit and saw how the design process became a reality and how each craft and profession worked together on site
- I enjoy music and play bass in a band with my school friends
- I like to stay fit and enjoy riding my bike and spending time at the local skate park where I practise stunts
- I was awarded a Construction Conference Certificate after I took part in a one-day event at school that was run by CITB ConstructionSkills. This gave me great insight into the industry. I also had the opportunity to use my team building skills as I participated in a Construction Simulation activity.
- I was awarded the school prize for Construction Crafts and the judges commented that I have excellent practical skills, an ability to solve problems and patience.
|Brenda Jones||Anthony Goldthorpe|
|Owner, Local Newsagents||Director, BSB Architects|
|Tel: 01001 001 000||Tel: 01001 001 000|
|Email: Brenda.firstname.lastname@example.org||Email: email@example.com|