Career outlook for window cleaner
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would work at homes and businesses, cleaning windows, doors and other glass surfaces to create a pleasant environment for the people who live or work there.
You could work on different types of buildings, including houses, schools, offices, shops and hospitals.
- Mix cleaning chemicals and detergents
- Use ladders to clean lower windows
- Wash windows at a higher level using water-fed poles
- Clean windows on high buildings like tower blocks using a safety harness
- Collect and record payments
- Safely store equipment like ladders and transport it between jobs
If you are self-employed, you would also:
- Market your cleaning services
- Plan your own work schedule
- Do paperwork and keep accounts (or find someone to do this for you)
- Come up with prices and persuade customers to pay on time
You’d need to be able to work quickly and efficiently, and have a good awareness of health and safety.
A good head for heights is essential. You might sometimes be asked to do different types of work at heights, such as clearing gutters and cleaning paintwork or window frames.
UK employment status
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Attention to detail
- Managing resources
- Time management
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.