Career outlook for web developer
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would design, build and look after websites and web applications for clients.
You could work for many different businesses and public sector organisations. Each project is different.
Among other tasks, your clients could ask you to:
- Create a secure online shopping website
- Develop a virtual learning environment (VLE) for a college
- Set up a company intranet for staff
On a typical project, you would:
- Talk to the client about their ideas
- Build a site and add buttons, forms, video, sounds or animations
- Make sure that the new site works with the client’s own systems and databases
- Work on the site's appearance, often with a web designer
- Come up with solutions for user access and security
- Test the site to find and fix any problems before the public see it
Once you have built the site, you may continue to make small changes to make sure it is working properly. Depending on the contract, you could also continue to look after the site once it is up and running.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Working with technology
- Problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Taking initiative
- Taking responsibility
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.