Career outlook for translator
Average UK salary
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would convert the written word from one language into another without changing the meaning or tone.
You could work on a number of subjects, or specialise in a particular area, such as:
- Scientific, technical or commercial material like reports, manuals and brochures
- Legal documents, such as contracts
- Literary work, such as novels, plays and poetry
- Media work, such as film scripts and subtitles for films
- Educational resources, such as textbooks, e-books and apps
- Online content, such as e-commerce, interactive platforms, business to business websites and blogs
- Reproduce the text clearly, accurately and in the original style
- Use specialist knowledge, such as technical terms
- Research legal, technical or scientific terms and consult with experts to check accuracy
- Match the culture of the target audience
In large companies you may edit rough translations created using computers. You may also use other types of translation software.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Developing a plan
- Attention to detail
- Verbal communication
- Written communication
- Problem solving
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.