Career outlook for train station staff
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would carry out essential tasks at a train station to help make travel easy and enjoyable for customers.
- Sell and check tickets
- Make sure that passengers get on and off the train safely
- Help to load and unload luggage
- Signal the guard or driver to depart
- Update message displays showing passenger information
- Make passenger announcements
- Look after CCTV cameras and footage
- Give out information on services, routes, train times and delays
In smaller stations, you may have other tasks, such as cleaning or clearing snow and ice off platforms during the winter.
It would be important to follow health and safety rules carefully, as you would be working around trains.
UK employment status
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Positive attitude
- Verbal communication
- Taking initiative
Your skills can help you choose the career that’s right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you’ll need.