Career outlook for train conductor
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would issue tickets to rail passengers and make sure that their journey is safe and comfortable.
- Check the carriages are clean before the start of a journey
- Make sure equipment, doors and controls are working properly
- Walk through carriages during the journey, checking tickets and travel documents
- Answer passengers' questions about routes, arrival times and connections
- Make announcements over the public address system
- Make sure passengers get on and off the train safely
- Deal with unexpected delays or emergencies such as a passenger falling ill
- Write reports on any delays or issues that occur
It would be important to have a good understanding of rail regulations, safety procedures, fares and timetables.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Positive attitude
- Verbal communication
- Taking initiative
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.