Career outlook for track maintenance operative
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would look after railways, tunnels and bridges to help keep trains running safely.
- Set up and look after tracks, tunnels, embankments, cuttings, level crossings and bridges
- Measure tracks to check sections are at the correct distance apart and at the right height
- Use special equipment to check tracks for defects
- Report possible obstacles
- Carry out site surveys to check if repairs are needed
- Report accidents and issues
- Perform lookout and hand signalling duties during trackside operations
- Use hand tools, pneumatic drills, welding equipment and heavy machinery
You would normally work in a small team and take instructions from a team leader. Your team would be managed by an engineer or rail engineering technician.
You would have to follow safe working practices carefully in order to protect yourself and the passengers.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Problem solving
- Working with numbers
- Attention to detail
- Taking responsibility
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.