Career outlook for stage manager
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would make sure live stage performances run smoothly. You would organise the practical and technical aspects of rehearsals and shows, and make sure that all crew and performers are in the right place at the right time.
You would probably be helped by a deputy stage manager and one or two assistant stage managers. On smaller productions you might work alone.
You and your team would:
- Run rehearsals
- Work with others to plan wardrobe, set design, scene changes, sound and lighting
- Manage the props budget and organise props and set dressing
- Learn the performers’ positions on stage, script changes, and the props, lighting and sound needed for each scene
- Work with theatre managers and front-of-house staff
- Supervise setting up and taking down before and after each show
- Let the performers know when to go on stage
- Let the technical crew know when to make sound and lighting changes
You might also join in with putting up the set and any other practical tasks, particularly in small companies or at the start of your career.
Understanding health and safety rules would be very important.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Taking responsibility
- Making decisions
- Time management
- Developing a plan
- Attention to detail
- Verbal communication
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.