Career outlook for SSPCA inspector
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would make a difference in the lives of animals by investigate abuse, rescuing animals who are in danger and finding them new homes for animals.
You would work for the Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- Check neglect and cruelty complaints
- Advise owners on proper care, give warnings and take some cases to court
- Decide if rescued animals need medical treatment
- Put animals to sleep if their condition can't be treated
- Inspect places such as kennels and pet shops
- Inspect events such as circuses, farm shows and races
- Work with the police, local councils, vets and dog wardens
- Rescue injured or trapped wild animals
- Write reports
- Give evidence in court
- Give talks about animal care
You would work for the Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and begin as an animal welfare officer. In this role you would:
- Look into minor complaints
- Collect and rescue animals
- Support inspectors in their work with more complicated cases
You may want to train as an auxiliary inspector instead. You would then cover remote parts of Scotland. You would be trained to assess situations and decide whether an inspector is needed.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We’ve found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Written communication
- Social conscience
- Making decisions
Your skills can help you choose the career that’s right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you’ll need.