Career outlook for sales representative
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would use your people skills to sell your company’s products or services to businesses, shops or individuals.
Products you could sell include medicines, consumer goods or engineering parts.
- Make appointments with new and current customers
- Assess your customers’ needs
- Make presentations on new products and special deals
- Look after sales, prices, contracts and payments
- Advise customers about delivery times and after-sales service
- Keep in contact with customers in person and by telephone
- Report your orders to the sales office
- Keep up to date with what your competitors are doing
- Go to conferences and seminars and follow industry trends
- Meet sales targets
- Write reports on sales trends
This job can come with a lot of pressure, as you may have to meet difficult targets. In some jobs you will be paid on commission, which means that for every item you sell you will make more money.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Positive attitude
- Managing resources
- Attention to detail
- Verbal communication
- Working with numbers
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.