Career outlook for robotics engineer
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
Robotics engineers use technology and innovation to design and construct robotic systems.
The robots you build might complete tasks that are too dangerous, time-consuming or difficult for humans to complete.
There are endless possibilities to what you might create. From surgical or military robots that save lives, to machines that help workers with manufacturing tasks. Your work could even go in to space. For example, robotics engineers built systems used on NASA’s Mars Curiosity Rover.
Advances in technology mean you’ll need to keep up to date with the latest technical systems and trends.
What you might do
- identify issues that robotic automation could solve
- create robots using mechanical, electrical and computer engineering skills
- research and decide how robots will perform and how to use them
- be aware of client’s wants and budgets to work out design needs and costs
- maintain and improve the functionality of robotic systems
- teach path plans to robots
- test functionality to be sure it works correctly
- conduct research to find new ways to design and maintain automated systems
- stay updated with the latest technical advancements
- provide information to clients and system users about the use and maintenance of the robotic automation
UK employment status
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Working with technology
- Problem solving
- Working with numbers
- Attention to detail
- Implementing ideas
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.