We've recently updated our service. Because of this, you'll need to reset your password to log in. It's quick and easy!Reset Password

Resort representative

Arrange trips, answer enquiries and sort out problems for people on holiday so they have a good time.

Also known as: holiday rep

About skillsGetting in

About the job


Source: LMI for All











people are currently employed

Low growth

100 more jobs in 5 years

These figures refer to this job and similar ones with comparable skills and qualifications. They only apply to Scotland. Source: Oxford Economics

What it's like

You would arrange trips, answer enquiries and sort out problems for people on holiday in a resort so they have a good time.

You would be based at the resort. When people arrive you would hold a welcome meeting to give people information about the facilities and local attractions.

You would:

  • Meet groups of holiday-makers when they arrive at the airport

  • Accompany them by coach to their accommodation

  • Tell them about resort facilities and local attractions

  • Arrange a regular time to pass on information and deal with questions and problems

  • Update an information board or a folder at each hotel

  • Arrange, and sometimes go on, excursions and sightseeing trips

  • Arrange car or ski hire

  • Keep records

  • Write reports about complaints and incidents such as illness

Throughout their holiday you would be there to make sure people have a good time. You would suggest activities people might like to do, explain the arrangements and sell the tickets.

You would also be on-call to give advice and deal with emergencies like lost passports or money, illness or difficulties with accommodation. Sometimes people may be anxious or upset so you’d need to be tactful and patient.

You’d need to be outgoing and enjoy meeting people. Your employer will usually give you a uniform.


Your work would usually be seasonal. Depending on the resort or country, holiday seasons may run from April onwards, October to January, or January to April.You would often work a six-day week. Shifts are often 12 hours from early morning to late evening, including weekends. You may also have to be part of an on-call rota system.


You would be largely based indoors, but may accompany tourists during outdoor trips and activities.


You would live in a resort overseas. You could be responsible for holiday-makers across a wide area, and travel between hotels or other holiday accommodation.

Explore more information about this job

Here are some useful links to learn more about this career:

Other careers that you might like

  • Tour manager
  • Tourist guide
  • Tourist information centre assistant
Browse all job profiles

Related industries

Many jobs can be done in lots of different industries. We've highlighted the ones we think are most important for this job.

  • Tourism
View all industries

Top skills

Skills are things you're good at. Whether you know what yours are or not, everyone has them!

It's useful to learn which ones are important in a job so you know the areas you need to brush up on. It can also help you work out if you're suited to a career.

Here are some of the skills you'll need to do this job:

  • negotiating
  • developing a plan
  • problem solving
  • verbal communication
  • supporting
  • cooperating
  • positive attitude

Your skills are important

Our unique skillsets are what make us stand out from the crowd. Learn about each skill in depth and discover what employers look for in your applications and interviews.

Discover skills

Getting in

Explore the sections shown for more information about getting into this career.

You might have qualifications which are not shown here but will allow you access to a course. You can compare your qualifications by looking at their SCQF Level. For more information about this, check out the SCQF website.

Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.

Colleges and universities will list subjects you'll need for entry to a course. Some useful subjects include:

  • French

  • Italian

  • Skills for Work: Hospitality

  • Spanish

  • Skills for Work: Travel and Tourism

There are no formal qualifications required to enter this role, as recruitment is often based on personality, but a good general education including English and maths is helpful.

A National Certificate (NC), National Qualification (NQ) or Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Travel and Tourism may be useful and demonstrate your interest in the area.

You usually need at least three National 4/5 qualifications to enter most of the relevant National Certificate or National Qualification courses.

  • Qualifications and experience in leisure or travel and tourism such as Skills for Work Travel and Tourism (SCQF level  4/5)

  • A working knowledge of a foreign language is an advantage

  • Experience of dealing with people or younger children is helpful

  • A first aid certificate

  • A full driving licence is normally required for most jobs.  

If the job involves working with children, you usually need professional childcare qualifications.

You may need to be approved for membership of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme run by Disclosure Scotland.

Explore over 22,000 courses in Scotland

Find the perfect course to boost your career.

View all courses

Search jobs and apprenticeships

View work opportunities