Career outlook for recycling operative
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would go to people’s homes and businesses and collect rubbish that can be used for a new purpose rather than just thrown away.
Your work would help people and industries re-use resources and reduce their impact on the environment.
You’d collect recyclable materials like:
- Empty recycling boxes and wheelie bins into the collection vehicle
- Put the boxes and bins back and make sure nothing has been left behind
- Check that the right kind of materials have been put out for recycling
- Sort recyclables at the kerbside
- Use machinery to help you lift and sort items at the waste collection site and the recycling site
- Work on the conveyor belt at a waste plant, sorting waste and removing non-recyclable items
- Inspect materials for any contamination
- Speak to members of the public about recycling schemes
- Clean and maintain equipment
In some jobs you could also drive the waste collection vehicle.
You’d need to do a lot of lifting so fitness and stamina would be important. You’d also need to follow health and safety rules.
UK employment status
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Time management
- Attention to detail
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.