Career outlook for practice nurse
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would work within a GP practice to give nursing and medical care to people of all ages. The patients you deal with may be very upset or worried, and you would have to be able to reassure them that you would do your best to help them.
- Set up and run clinics for conditions such as asthma, diabetes, heart conditions and skin disorders
- Offer advice on family planning and contraception
- Take blood and urine samples and other specimens and swabs
- Perform routine procedures such as ear syringing, applying and removing dressings and treating wounds
- Offer advice on issues such as blood pressure, weight control and stopping smoking
- Carry out vaccinations and travel immunisations
- Give advice to patients on long-term medical and nursing needs
In larger GP surgeries you may work alongside other practice nurses and have the chance to specialise in particular conditions or age groups.
You’d need good knowledge of child protection and public health issues, as well as a solid understanding of infection control procedures.
You can see more about the role on the General practice nurse page on the NHS Career website.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Social conscience
- Attention to detail
- Taking initiative
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.