Career outlook for plumber
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would fit and repair water and heating systems and appliances in homes and businesses. People who were having problems with their water supply or heating would rely on you to get these systems up and running again as soon as possible.
- Set up and service water supplies, heating systems and drainage
- Find faults in equipment and repair them
- Install and fix home appliances like showers, cookers, gas fires and washing machines
- Service air-conditioning and ventilation units
- Attend emergency call-outs to fix leaks, for example during cold weather
- Fit weather-proof materials to roofs, chimneys and walls.
- Use hand and power tools, including welding equipment
- Replace gas boilers and gas heating with renewable energy systems such as heat pumps
You would need to be good at following technical plans. You’d also need to have a good understanding of safety rules.
As an experienced plumber, you might specialise in sheet metal work for industrial, commercial or historical buildings.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Problem solving
- Working with numbers
- Attention to detail
- Developing a plan
- Taking initiative
- Time management
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.