Career outlook for offshore roustabout
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would keep the drilling equipment and area working properly on offshore facilities such as oil and gas rigs and drilling platforms.
As a roustabout, you would do basic labouring tasks to help keep the drilling area in good working order. A lead roustabout would supervise your work.
- Clean, scrape and paint the deck, equipment and work areas
- Offload supplies from boats and move them to storage areas
- Move supplies and equipment to the work site
- Use lifting gear and winches to load and stack equipment
- Help to repair pumping equipment
- Mix the 'drilling mud' to lubricate the drill bit
As a roughneck, you would carry out more skilled duties as part of the actual drilling operation.
- Add fresh lengths of drill pipe as the drill moves deeper into rock
- Insert and extract the whole drill
- Clean, maintain and repair the drilling equipment
- Use lifting gear, ropes and winches
You need to be able to work and live as part of a team and be aware of health and safety rules.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Managing resources
- Time management
- Making decisions
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.