Career outlook for media researcher
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would find entertaining and interesting people, places and information to make enjoyable TV and radio programmes.
You’d help TV and radio producers. For example, you could research factual information for documentaries or find studio audiences and guests for entertainment shows.
In some jobs you might also come up with and research ideas for new programmes.
Depending on the type of programme you would:
- Discuss programme ideas and the research you’d need to do with producers
- Find and check information using sources like the internet, libraries and museums
- Search media libraries and archives for music, photographs and film footage
- Write briefs for presenters, or brief scriptwriters
- Check copyright and get permission to use archive material
- Find people for the studio audiences and to contribute to the programme
- Look for locations
- Keep detailed records
- Write content for websites and social media linked to the programme
On some productions you might cast people for roles. You’d call or visit people and record short taster or casting films. On factual programmes made by small teams, you might also do filming with digital video cameras or edit films.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We’ve found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Written communication
- Attention to detail
- Developing a plan
- Time management
Your skills can help you choose the career that’s right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you’ll need.