Insurance risk surveyor

risk consultant risk control surveyor risk control adviser
Financial services

Career outlook for insurance risk surveyor

UK Salary Ranges





Currently employed in Scotland


Salary information is provided by the "National Careers Service". "Oxford Economics" supplies job forecasts and employment figures. Due to COVID-19 the jobs market is constantly changing. Some of the information may not reflect the current situation.

What's it like?

You would check buildings, machinery and other possessions that people want to protect with insurance. You’d spot issues that that could be a potential danger and explain to people how to make things safer.

You could do surveys of buildings, machinery, transport and other sites or items that need to be insured. You’d then report back to insurance underwriters who would then decide how much to charge for the insurance policy, and the terms and conditions of the policy.

You would normally assess the risks related to one of these specialised areas:

  • Fire and perils – examine plans, construction and fire protection systems
  • Accidents and liability – find possible risks to employees, customers and visitors on a building or site
  • Engineering insurance – look for faults and risks in mechanical and industrial plants, machinery and equipment
  • Burglary and theft – inspect business premises to check security and storage methods

In all these areas you explain the issues clearly to people who are not experts, and persuade them that it would be better to make some changes. You’d make sure that the companies understand the risks and have put in place a plan to manage the risks. You would make sure that they have introduced good health and safety procedures.

You would usually work for general insurance companies, brokers, firms of specialist surveyors or local authorities.

Working conditions


You will usually work standard office hours, Monday to Friday. You will need to be flexible with your working hours as you’ll sometimes need to work evenings and weekends. Part-time work is often available.


Your time will be split between an office and the inspection sites. The job may sometimes involve working outdoors in all weather conditions and at heights.​


You would have to travel to inspect each site. In some cases this may involve stays away from home.

UK employment status





Self employed


Create a qualification route

We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.

Discover my route

Search course options

Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.

Find courses

Search job opportunities

If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.

Find a job

Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.

  • Cooperating
  • Verbal communication
  • Problem solving
  • Observation
  • Attention to detail
  • Developing a plan
  • Time management
  • Reliable
  • Negotiating
  • Taking responsibility

Skills Explorer

Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.

Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.

Use the Skills Explorer tool

Getting in

Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.

Foundation Apprenticeships

Choosing a Foundation Apprenticeship as one of your subjects in S5 and S6 can help you get a head start with this type of job.

You'll get an SCQF level 6 qualification (the same level as a Higher) plus valuable work placement experience and skills you can't learn in a classroom.

Interested? Find out what's on offer at your school on


Though there are no set routes to enter this job most entrants have an honours degree at 2.1 or above and considerable industry experience in insurance/underwriting.

Any degree subject is acceptable, but science or technologies, financial, business studies or risk management qualifications are particularly helpful. 

Useful subjects

  • English (required by most employers and courses)
  • Maths  (required by most employers and courses)
  • Accounts
  • Economics
  • Statistics
  • ICT subjects
  • Business subjects
  • Humanities subjects

Helpful to have

Once in the job further professional qualifications are available from the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII), the Institute of Risk Management (IRM) or National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH).

Technical Modern Apprenticeship in Insurance (SVQ level 4).