Insurance claims handler

claims administrator claims settler claims technician claims assessor claims investigator claims negotiator
Financial services

Career outlook for insurance claims handler

UK Salary Ranges





Currently employed in Scotland


Salary information is provided by the "National Careers Service". "Oxford Economics" supplies job forecasts and employment figures. Due to COVID-19 the jobs market is constantly changing. Some of the information may not reflect the current situation.

What's it like?

You would check information from people who are claiming for money from their insurance company because they’ve had an accident or problem.

You would check that when people make a claim on their insurance policy that they are entitled to receive money because of the problem they’ve experienced. For example, this could be because their house or car has been damaged in an accident or crime. Or a person might need money because they are too ill to work or their pet is sick.

You’d organise to pay the money to them, up to the limit agreed when they signed up to the policy.

You would:

  • Take details when a customer reports a claim
  • Send them claim forms
  • Explain the claims process to customers
  • Check that the person has kept up the payments for the insurance policy
  • Check insurance claims that the policy covers the claim
  • Collect information such as receipts, photographs or valuations
  • Tell customers how their claim might affect their future insurance payments
  • Arrange payments on straightforward claims
  • Refer doubtful, complex or high-value claims to a claims manager

You might also arrange for trades people to make repairs to property or buildings which have been damaged.

With experience, you could work as a claims negotiator, investigating more complex claims and negotiating with solicitors, insurers and clients before agreeing to pay out.

Working conditions


In a full-time job you would work 35 to 40 hours a week, in an insurance office or contact centre. You might work standard office hours Monday to Friday, or shifts including evenings and weekends in a contact centre. Part-time work is often available.


You would be office-based, and spend most of your time speaking on the phone and using a computer.

UK employment status





Self employed


Create a qualification route

We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.

Discover my route

Search course options

Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.

Find courses

Search job opportunities

If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.

Find a job

Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.

  • Verbal communication
  • Working with numbers
  • Observation
  • Questioning
  • Attention to detail
  • Sorting
  • Making decisions
  • Analysing

Skills Explorer

Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.

Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.

Use the Skills Explorer tool

Getting in

Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.

Foundation Apprenticeships

Choosing a Foundation Apprenticeship as one of your subjects in S5 and S6 can help you get a head start with this type of job.

You'll get an SCQF level 6 qualification (the same level as a Higher) plus valuable work placement experience and skills you can't learn in a classroom.

Interested? Find out what's on offer at your school on


You will usually require Nationals and many employers prefer Highers or equivalent college or work-based qualifications at SCQF levels 4 to 6 or relevant work-based qualifications such as a Modern Apprenticeship in Providing Financial Services (SVQ level 2/3).

A relevant Higher National Certificate (SCQF level 7), Higher National Diploma (SCQF level 8), or a degree (SCQF level 9/10) is usually required to gain access to graduate training schemes.

Larger insurance broking companies increasingly offer graduate training programmes; qualifications in accounting, business management, economics, finance, mathematics and statistics are particularly useful.

Useful subjects

  • English (required by most employers and courses) 
  • Maths (required by most employers and courses) 
  • Accounts
  • Economics
  • Business subjects
  • ICT subjects

You will also need

Once in the job a range of professional qualifications are available. Most individuals study insurance qualifications from Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) but to be eligible to offer certain types of financial advice such as life, health or mortgage insurance you will require an appropriate Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) qualification.

Helpful to have

Qualifications and experience in finance and/or customer service such as Skills for Work Financial Services (SCQF level 5).