We've recently updated our service. Because of this, you'll need to reset your password to log in. It's quick and easy!Reset Password

Housing officer

Find a home for people who want to rent a house from a council or housing association. Look after properties and support the tenants.

About skillsGetting in

About the job


Source: National Careers Service



Entry level





Entry level





Entry level




people are currently employed

High growth

200 more jobs in 5 years

These figures refer to this job and similar ones with comparable skills and qualifications. They only apply to Scotland. Source: Oxford Economics

What it's like

You would find a home for people who want to rent a house from a council or housing association.

You would usually be responsible for a particular housing estate or group of properties owned by the council or housing association. You’d regularly inspect the houses and organise repairs if necessary.

You’d help people with advice on their finances, if necessary, and encourage tenants to take part in tenancy groups that help shape the community in which they live. You would meet lots of people from different cultures and backgrounds.

You would:

  • Assess the needs of people applying for a house

  • Allocate the empty properties

  • Do regular inspections to make sure all properties are in a good state of repair

  • Refer tenants to appropriate sources of advice about benefits and welfare

  • Set the rents and deal with payments and arrears

  • Prevent and resolve anti-social behaviour and broken tenancy agreements

  • Arrange for legal action where necessary

  • Gather statistical information and prepare reports

  • Attend tenants' meetings

You would work closely with other organisations like local government social services and welfare rights organisations.


You would usually work a 37 hour week, Monday to Friday. You may occasionally need to work in the evenings, for example to attend tenants' meetings. Part-time work may be available.


You would be mainly office-based.


You would spend some of your time out of the office visiting tenants, inspecting properties and attending meetings. Some jobs may require a driving licence.

Explore more information about this job

Here are some useful links to learn more about this career:

Other careers that you might like

  • Community development worker
  • Counsellor
  • Welfare rights officer
Browse all job profiles

Related industries

Many jobs can be done in lots of different industries. We've highlighted the ones we think are most important for this job.

  • Healthcare
View all industries

Top skills

Skills are things you're good at. Whether you know what yours are or not, everyone has them!

It's useful to learn which ones are important in a job so you know the areas you need to brush up on. It can also help you work out if you're suited to a career.

Here are some of the skills you'll need to do this job:

  • problem solving
  • resourceful
  • empathising
  • building relationships
  • cooperating
  • verbal communication
  • developing a plan
  • time management
  • negotiating

Your skills are important

Our unique skillsets are what make us stand out from the crowd. Learn about each skill in depth and discover what employers look for in your applications and interviews.

Discover skills

Getting in

Explore the sections shown for more information about getting into this career.

You might have qualifications which are not shown here but will allow you access to a course. You can compare your qualifications by looking at their SCQF Level. For more information about this, check out the SCQF website.

Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.

Colleges and universities will list subjects you'll need for entry to a course. Some useful subjects include:

  • Administration and Information Technology

  • Business

  • Care

  • Sociology

There are no formal qualifications required to enter this work but some employers may ask for qualifications at SCQF levels 4 to 6.

There is a Modern Apprenticeship in Housing (SCQF level 5 - 6/7).

Many housing organisations offer graduate trainee schemes; a degree in property management, social policy or public administration would be helpful. 

There are a number of diploma, degree and MSc postgraduate courses that are partially or fully recognised by Chartered Institue of Housing (CIH) and would support CIH Chartered Membership.

For entry to a degree (SCQF level 10)  you usually need National 5 qualifications and three to five Highers. Some universities ask for qualifications to be gained in one sitting. 

You can also enter a degree with a relevant Higher National Certificate (SCQF level 7) or Higher National Diploma (SCQF level 8). With Advanced Highers, HNC or HND qualification you may enter the second or third year of some degree courses.

With a suitable honours degree and relevant experience you can apply to a masters (SCQF level 11).

Relevant industry qualifications such as Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) Certificate or Diploma in Housing Practice, or be willing to work towards qualifications once in a job. CIH Chartered Membership can also be helpful.

To be approved for membership of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme run by Disclosure Scotland.

You may require a driving licence for some jobs.

Explore over 22,000 courses in Scotland

Find the perfect course to boost your career.

View all courses

Search jobs and apprenticeships

View work opportunities