Career outlook for heating and ventilation engineer
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would install and service heating and air conditioning systems. You’d help people and organisations save energy by making the systems as efficient as possible.
You’d work on systems in large buildings like office blocks, factories, schools and hospitals. You would make sure that systems work as efficiently as possible to reduce fossil fuel consumption, carbon emissions and help people to save energy. This means you'd also work with renewable energy systems that use wind, tidal, solar, geothermal, biomass and hydrogen power.
There are a variety of roles you could specialise in. You might work as a:
- Heating installer - fit heating equipment and pipework systems in buildings like office blocks, hospitals and schools
- Ductwork installer - put in ductwork and ventilation systems in large buildings like sports stadia, airport terminals and shopping centres
- Service engineer - plan and carry out regular maintenance and repairs on all systems to make sure they are working safely and efficiently
- Commissioning engineer - test and check systems to make sure they meet their original design specification and do what the customer needs
- Control engineers y- design and install the control panels that operate and adjust heating systems
- Domestic heating installer - fit central heating systems in homes and make sure they work properly
You might also work with renewable energy heating systems like ground source heat pumps, which take the heat from underground and pump it to the surface into buildings to supply warm air.
You’d need to be able to read and carefully follow technical plans and diagrams.
You’d need to be comfortable working in confined spaces and have a good head for heights. You might need to work outdoors in all sorts of weather.
A safe and methodical approach is important.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Building relationships
- Verbal communication
- Working with technology
- Problem solving
- Developing a plan
- Taking initiative
- Making decisions
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.