Career outlook for health psychologist
Average UK salary
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would work to change behaviour that affects people's health and promote general wellbeing.
You'd study the psychological effects of physical illness. You'd help people who need support with the psychological and emotional aspects of a diagnosis of an illness or who are living with a health condition.
The tasks vary depending on where you work but you might:
- research how social factors such as income and location affect health
- undertake projects to raise awareness about healthy lifestyles
- coach healthcare staff on dealing sensitively with patients under stress
- give support to patients who are dealing with illness or addiction
- explore how mental and physical health affect one another
- work with government organisations to improve health policy
- interview patients to assess their emotional state during illness
- study the relationships between healthcare staff and their patients
- find new ways to change health behaviour
- study how patients and doctors make treatment choices
You could be based in hospitals or community health facilities or work in a local authority or public health department.
Other roles are in research units and universities where you would do teaching and research.
UK employment status
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Written communication
- Social conscience
- Developing a plan
- Time management
- Making decisions
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.