Career outlook for hairdresser
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would cut, colour and shape clients' hair to create the look they want.
As a junior hairdresser, you would:
- Greet customers
- Shampoo their hair
- Do simple cutting
- Make sure towels and supplies are ready for use
- Keep the salon clean and tidy
As a senior hairdresser, you would talk to clients about how they want their hair done. You’d tactfully give them advice and suggest style ideas.
- Shampoo and condition customers’ hair
- Cut and style customers’ hair
- So colouring, perming or straightening
- Advise on minor hair and scalp problems
- Make appointments and handle payments
- Order materials
- Make sure that hair products containing chemicals are used and stored correctly
You’d make people feel at ease so they enjoy being in the hair salon. You’d keep up to date with fashion and the latest hairstyles.
You could specialise in working with particular clients or techniques, for example:
- Cutting men's hair in a barber shop
- Pressing, braiding and plaiting Afro-Caribbean hair
- Colouring and dyeing hair
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Positive attitude
- Building relationships
- Verbal communication
- Attention to detail
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.