General practice surveyor

Construction and building

Career outlook for general practice surveyor

UK Salary Ranges





Currently employed in Scotland


Salary information is provided by the "National Careers Service". "Oxford Economics" supplies job forecasts and employment figures. Due to COVID-19 the jobs market is constantly changing. Some of the information may not reflect the current situation.

What's it like?

You would tell people how much land and property is worth. You’d help your clients with deals to buy, sell, and rent it.

You’d advise your clients on land and property valuations and development, and manage the letting, buying and selling of properties.

You would:

  • Negotiate deals to buy, sell and rent property
  • Act as an agent to buy and sell property and land on behalf of clients
  • Assess environmental impact and economic viability of development
  • Value land and property
  • Compile reports for mortgage valuations, rent reviews and investment potential
  • Advise on property values, land purchase, tenure issues and related legislation

You could work in either the private or public sector. There are several areas you could specialise in.

If you work in development you’d liaise with other professionals such as town planners, architects, and highways and structural engineers to consider new developments and their financial implications.

You could manage property on behalf of a landlord, collect rents, deal with maintenance and repair and make sure people adhere to tenancy agreements.

In investment, you’d advise clients on buying and selling individual investments or managing large property portfolios.

You could also do work for the Valuation Office Agency. You’d value property on behalf of the government, local authorities and public bodies for business rates, capital taxation, purchase and sale.

Some qualified surveyors are also estate agents.

Working conditions


You would usually work up to 40 hours a week. In the private sector you would often need to work extra hours, including weekends, to meet deadlines, visit sites or meet with clients. In the public sector your hours would usually be more regular.


You would work both in an office and on site, which may involve being outside in all weather conditions.


You would spend time visiting clients and might sometimes need to stay away from home.

UK employment status





Self employed


Create a qualification route

We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.

Discover my route

Search course options

Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.

Find courses

Search job opportunities

If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.

Find a job

Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.

  • Cooperating
  • Supporting
  • Verbal communication
  • Problem solving
  • Observation
  • Attention to detail
  • Developing a plan
  • Time management
  • Negotiating
  • Taking responsibility

Skills Explorer

Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.

Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.

Use the Skills Explorer tool

Getting in

Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.


There are two different routes into this role - degree route or work-based route:

  • A degree (SCQF level 9/10) such as surveying, estate management, building or construction accredited by Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). If the degree is not RICS-accredited you can do an accredited postgraduate qualification (SCQF level 11).
  • You can enter a job with qualifications at SCQF levels 4 to 6 and study part-time for a Higher National Certificate (SCQF level 7) or Higher National Diploma (SCQF Level 8). If you have an HNC/D (SCQF 7/8) you may be able to work as a surveying technician with a company and take further qualifications to fully qualify.

You can enter Higher National Certificate (SCQF level 7) or Higher National Diploma courses (SCQF level 8) with National 4/5 qualifications and one to two Highers or equivalent qualifications.

To enter a degree (SCQF level 9/10) usually requires National 5 qualifications and a minimum of three Highers or a relevant HNC/HND.

To enter a postgraduate course (SCQF level 11) you will usually require an honours degree in a relevant subject. If you are working in engineering or construction, you could take a distance learning postgraduate conversion course with the College of Estate Management (CEM).

Useful subjects

  • English (required by most courses)
  • Maths (required by most courses)
  • Business management
  • Economics
  • Geography
  • Science subjects
  • Technologies subjects

You will also need

You must hold a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card or equivalent and pass a health and safety test to work and train on construction sites.

You may require a driving license for some jobs.

You gain chartered status by following one of the routes approved by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

Once in work, no matter your qualifications, there will be a period of supervised practical training  and Assessment of Professional Competence.