Career outlook for florist
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
Information is unavailable
What's it like?
You would sell flowers and plants in shops for people to use to decorate their homes or give as gifts.
You’d create beautiful bouquets and flower arrangements for people to enjoy at home or at special events like weddings and conferences.
You’d combine your artistic flair with your knowledge of plants and flowers to design and assemble flower arrangements, bouquets and wreaths.
- Chat with customers to find out what they need
- Help people choose suitable flowers and plants
- Make suggestions for floral arrangements and explain your ideas to customers
- Make up bouquets and arrangements based on your ideas, design books and your customers' requirements
- Prepare flowers for formal displays, for example at weddings, conferences or exhibitions
- Set up displays
- Deliver orders to customers
- Advise customers on how to look after the flowers or plants they buy
You may also sell gifts, greetings cards and decorations. If you run your own business, you would keep accounts and carry out other administration tasks.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Positive attitude
- Verbal communication
- Working with numbers
- Attention to detail
- Time management
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.