Career outlook for early years practitioner
Average UK salary
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would work with babies and young children from birth until primary school age, helping them to learn in a safe, happy environment.
- Plan and run activities like arts and crafts, music and cooking
- Use activities and games to help children learn to count
- Read stories and do activities to develop the children’s language skills
- Take children on outings
- Feed and change babies
- Make notes about the children for use in reports
- Make sure that the national guidance on early years education is reflected in the children’s learning
- Keep the children safe and well at all times
- Report any worries to your manager, such as signs of abuse
You may have to act as a key worker for one or more children. This means checking on their progress and keeping their parents and/or carers updated.
You might like to specialise in working with children with physical disabilities, learning difficulties or mental health issues.
You would work in local authority childcare settings or privately owned nurseries.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Positive attitude
- Building relationships
- Verbal communication
- Developing a plan
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.