Dental therapist

oral health practitioner

Career outlook for dental therapist

UK Salary Ranges





Currently employed in Scotland


Salary information is provided by the "National Careers Service". "Oxford Economics" supplies job forecasts and employment figures. Due to COVID-19 the jobs market is constantly changing. Some of the information may not reflect the current situation.

What's it like?

You would carry out treatments to make people’s teeth healthier and look better such as doing simple fillings, polishing teeth and taking x-rays.

You’d need to be friendly and sympathetic to help anxious patients feel more relaxed about having the treatment.

You could work in dental practices, hospitals or the community.

You’d work as part of a team and carry out the clinical treatments prescribed by a dentist.

You would:

  • Remove plaque and other tooth coatings, such as calculus
  • Apply antibacterial and de-sensitising agents
  • Polish teeth
  • Do tooth whitening
  • Apply sealants and fluorides to teeth to help prevent decay
  • Take x-rays
  • Replace temporary fillings and crowns
  • Carry out simple fillings
  • Extract deciduous (milk) teeth
  • Give certain types of local anaesthetic, unsupervised

You would use a range of instruments, and sometimes have the help of a dental nurse.

You’d also do health promotion and education activities with children and adults. You’d teach and motivate individuals and groups to look after their teeth and gums.

You could work for the National Health Service (NHS) or in the private sector. You can see more about this role in the National Health Service on the Dental hygienist-therapist page on the NHSScotland Careers website.

Working conditions


You would usually work around 37.5 hours a week between 9am and 5pm. Part-time work is also possible.


You would work mainly in dental surgeries and clinics, which are clean and well lit. When carrying out treatments, you would usually wear a coat or tunic, surgical gloves, eye protection and a mask to reduce the risk of cross infection.​


If you are working in the Community Dental Service (CDS) or carrying out health promotion work, you may need to travel between schools, community centres and clinics.

UK employment status





Self employed


Create a qualification route

We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.

Discover my route

Search course options

Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.

Find courses

Search job opportunities

If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.

Find a job

Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.

  • Cooperating
  • Verbal communication
  • Empathising
  • Attention to detail
  • Developing a plan
  • Taking initiative
  • Time management
  • Taking responsibility

Skills Explorer

Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.

Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.

Use the Skills Explorer tool

Getting in

Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.


You would do a course approved by the General Dental Council (GDC) such as the BSc in Oral Health Science (SCQF level 10). This is a three-year degree course and is available at Dundee University, Glasgow Caledonian and the University of the Highlands and Islands.

To enter a Oral Health Science or dentistry degree (SCQF level 9/10) requires National 5 qualifications and a minimum of four Highers at B or above.

Edinburgh University offers the BSc Hons Oral Health Sciences. For entry you require four highers at BBBB including Biology.

Glasgow Dental School and Hospital offers a Diploma in Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy. This course is full time and is run over 27 months. You require three highers at C or above plus five subjects at National 5.

Useful subjects

Many courses require:

  • English
  • Maths or physics
  • At least one science subject, in particular biology, human biology and chemistry. 

You will also need

To be approved for membership of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme run by Disclosure Scotland.

Helpful to have

Qualifications that show understanding of health, wellbeing and care such as:

  • Health and Social Care (SCQF level 6)
  • SQA Wellbeing Award (SCQF levels 3-5)

It may be of an advantage to have experience as a dental nurse.