Career outlook for delivery van driver
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
As a delivery van driver, you'd play an important role getting goods to customers on time.
You could deliver a wide range of items, for example:
- supermarket shopping orders
- domestic appliances like washing machines and fridges
- money, for example a company’s wages
- collect goods from a depot, warehouse or pick-up point
- load the vehicle in an order that matches the deliveries you'll make
- plan the route to make sure you deliver everything on time
- unload goods at the right addresses
- get signatures for goods and give invoices when you deliver
- update delivery records, often using a hand-held computer
- return undelivered items to your base
- record mileage and the fuel that you buy
- complete record sheets and paperwork
Your vehicle could vary in size, depending on the load and your licence. Many vans are 3.5 tonnes or less, but you might also drive vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes.
If you work for a security firm and deliver valuables or cash, you'd drive a specially adapted van with a time-lock safe and other security features.
UK employment status
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Problem solving
- Time management
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.