Career outlook for cycle mechanic
Average UK salary
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would build, repair and service all kinds of bikes. You’d talk to your customers about any problems with their bicycle, identify the faults and decide what repairs are needed.
- Investigate problems with a bike and discuss solutions with the customer
- Estimate the cost of repairs and give quotes
- Do routine bike services and safety checks
- Carry out repairs and replace parts
- Clean, degrease and lubricate bike parts
- Give advice to customers on cycles and cycling
- Order bike parts and keep a log of stock
- Liaise with suppliers and dealers
- Take bookings for repairs and process paperwork
You might also build a bike from scratch to a customer’s specification.
At cycling race events and charity bike rides you could do repairs and give technical support if any problems arise.
UK employment status
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Time management
- Taking initiative
- Developing a plan
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.