Career outlook for content designer
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
Content designers create online content to suit the needs of their audience.
You'd research and understand users to create web pages and other online content for them. You’d present this in a way that is easy to understand and accessible to all.
You'd continually review and update the online content you work with to make sure it is meeting the needs of users.
If you have a way with words, this could be an ideal career for you. A big part of the role is writing. You could also be a video content designer if you have flair with a camera and know how to edit multimedia content.
Content is not limited to words or videos. You'll need to present information in a way that suits your audience. For example, content can also be images, audio, diagrams or charts.
What you might do:
- work with users to understand what they want and need from your content
- write and edit text
- create and edit video content
- publish content using a content management system (CMS)
- structure content and pages in a logical, user-focused way
- keep site content up to date
- edit and proofread text written by colleagues or freelancers
- create and use editorial guidelines, such as a house style
- plan and develop content with other departments or clients
- use search engine optimisation (SEO) techniques to make sure web pages are easy to find
- look at data to evaluate and report on content
- check and reply to online and email enquiries
You might train new staff on how to produce and edit content. You'd also need to keep up to date with changes in web technology and good practice.
You might work alone or in a team with web developers, designers, and marketing and communications staff.
An excellent standard of English grammar, punctuation and spelling would be essential. You’d also need to know about online writing issues, such as content structure and website accessibility.
UK employment status
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Building relationships
- Working with technology
- Written communication
- Attention to detail
- Developing a plan
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.