Career outlook for construction operative
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You’d work as part of a team on a building site to construct a building or structure safely and efficiently.
You’d use different building methods and work with a variety of materials. You’d use hand, power and machine tools, following health and safety rules, to successfully complete the different processes involved in a construction project.
At the start of a project you’d help to prepare the site. For example, you would:
- Put up site huts
- Unload and store building materials
- Set up ladders and scaffolding
Once work starts, you could do a variety of tasks including:
- Groundworking – mark out and dig shallow trenches for foundations and drains
- Formworking – put up or dismantle the shuttering that holds concrete in place while it’s setting
- Steel fixing– bend and fix the bars used to reinforce concrete structures
- Steel piling – fix steel sheets together to form temporary retaining walls for excavation work
- Concreting – layer and smooth concrete for foundations, floors and beams
- Road working –pour concrete and lay kerbs, paving and re-surfacing
With further training, you could operate construction plant equipment, such as dumper trucks or excavators.
UK employment status
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Developing a plan
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.