Career outlook for claims adjuster
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would investigate damage to people’s property or to businesses. You’d decide how much money the insurance company should pay in compensation.
You’d look into large or complicated claims on behalf of an insurance company.
You would usually specialise in either domestic household claims from individuals or commercial claims by businesses.
They could be claiming compensation for anything from damage due to a fire or a flood, to loss because of theft or fraud.
- visit sites to see the damage
- interview customers about the claim
- gather evidence, such as security camera footage and police reports
- request detailed reports from specialists, like building surveyors
- check that the policy will cover the loss and that the customer is claiming a reasonable amount
- organise clean-up or salvage operations, or arrange large-scale building repairs
- make further investigations if you suspect fraud
- give evidence in court in fraud cases
- complete relevant paperwork
- present a report to the insurers, with recommendations on how much should be paid out
- advise claimants on how to avoid further losses
You might carry out several inspections a day. With more complicated claims, it could take you several days to process one claim.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Working with numbers
- Developing a plan
- Managing resources
- Taking initiative
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.