Career outlook for civil service executive officer
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would help to provide important services to the public. Make fair and informed decisions and explain government policies to the public.
You could work in any of the Scottish Government directorates and agencies that develop and implement government policies, for example:
- Communities Directorate
- Enterprise, Environment and Innovation Directorate
- Finance Directorate
- Creative Scotland
- Education Scotland
- Forestry Commission Scotland
Depending on the directorate or the agency you worked for you would:
- Manage, motivate train a team of administrative officers
- Review the team performance
- Review individuals’ situations and assess what services a person is entitled to
- Handle a lot of cases at once
- Apply complex policies and procedures to deal with enquiries and complaints
- Make decisions on individual cases
- Update records on computer systems and databases
- Prepare and present reports
You might train in a specific area of work such as tax or immigration control.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Attention to detail
- Developing a plan
- Time management
- Making decisions
- Motivating others
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.