Civil enforcement officer

traffic warden parking attendant
Security, uniformed and protective services

Career outlook for civil enforcement officer

UK Salary Ranges





Currently employed in Scotland


Salary information is provided by the "National Careers Service". "Oxford Economics" supplies job forecasts and employment figures. Due to COVID-19 the jobs market is constantly changing. Some of the information may not reflect the current situation.

What's it like?

You would make sure that people respect and obey the rules that make public roads and parking spaces safe and available for everyone to use.

You would walk around public streets and local council carparks to check that people are following the traffic and parking regulations. For example, you’d make sure that people aren’t wrongly using spaces that are reserved for disabled drivers. You’d check that drivers aren’t inconveniencing other people by parking for too long on a busy road.

You’d apply the rules fairly. You’d need to explain issues to people who may be angry when you tell then they have broken the regulations.

You would:

  • Record and issue Penalty Charge Notices to people
  • Check parking meters and car park equipment, and report damage or faults
  • Check that car parks are clean and tidy
  • Report defective signs and road markings
  • Identify and reporting abandoned vehicles
  • Explain regulations to motorists and advise them about parking facilities
  • Check tickets and take payments in some car parks

You would work with other professionals like the police or police community support officers to report incidents like anti-social behaviour.

You’d also need to attend court or tribunal if someone refuses to accept and pay a parking ticket.

You would use hand-held computers and printers for recording and issuing penalty notices and cameras to record vehicles that break the regulations. You’d use a two-way radio or mobile phone to keep in contact with your supervisors.

Working conditions


You would usually work shifts between 8am and 8pm. This would be on a rota including Saturdays and sometimes Sundays. Some jobs may be part-time.


You would spend most of the day patrolling on foot and be out in all weathers. You would be expected to wear a uniform and waterproof clothing.


You may use a vehicle to travel between different areas, using a car, motorcycle or moped, depending on your job role.

UK employment status





Self employed


Create a qualification route

We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.

Discover my route

Search course options

Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.

Find courses

Search job opportunities

If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.

Find a job

Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.

  • Making decisions
  • Attention to detail
  • Verbal communication
  • Building relationships
  • Researching

Skills Explorer

Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.

Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.

Use the Skills Explorer tool

Getting in

Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.


You do not need formal qualifications, but a good general education is useful and some employers may prefer you to have some subjects at National 4 or 5 (SCQF level 4/5) 

Useful subjects

  • Maths
  • English
  • ICT
  • Physical education
  • Languages
  • Social studies such as psychology

Helpful to have

Qualifications and experience that demonstrate physical fitness and experience working with the public such as Skills for Work Uniformed and Emergency Services (SCQF level 4).

A driving licence and basic knowledge of the Highway Code may also be helpful.

You may have to take an entry test, including writing skills, and possibly numerical skills.