Career outlook for business development manager
Average UK salary
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
Attracting new business or clients is essential for growing a successful company. From sourcing new clients and developing relationships, to generating business interest through advertising, calls potential clients, and networking.
As a business development manager, you’d need first-class communication skills to identify opportunities to grow the business, pitch to new clients and maintain good relationships with new and existing contacts.
What you’ll do
- Identify new leads and business opportunities
- Contact potential clients by email, cold calling or face to face to establish relationships
- Research the needs of other companies and identify how your product or service could fit with those needs
- Establish and maintain relationships with current clients
- Pitch and present to current and potential clients
- Negotiate (and renegotiate)
- Fully understand the company's product or service and their position in the market
- Keep up to date with competitors in the industry
- Attend conferences, meetings, and networking events
UK employment status
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Building relationships
- Verbal communication
- Written communication
- Attention to detail
- Developing a plan
- Taking initiative
- Time management
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.