Career outlook for business analyst
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
Business analysts look at the quality of the way an organisation works and comes up with ideas on how it can improve. They meet with managers to find out what the business aims and needs are, and what they do to meet them.
In this job, you'd look at things such as technical systems, business models and the procedures that are in place. Then you'd analyse and test them to decide if there are better ways of doing things that could help the business.
If any systems were to be upgraded or procedures were to be changed, you’d work with the relevant teams within the business to organise and oversee the changes being put in place.
What you might do:
- Help to design, document and maintain system processes
- Use data to research and analyse the structure of a business and how it uses technology
- Identify any problem areas and consider opportunities or improvement
- Communicate with senior management to identify the business’ goals
- Create and test IT solutions and systems to ensure they meet the needs of the business
- Persuade stakeholders of the benefits of implementing new strategies or systems
- Provide staff with training sessions for new IT systems
- Oversee the introduction of new technology or systems
UK employment status
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Building relationships
- Verbal communication
- Written communication
- Problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Developing a plan
- Implementing ideas
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.