Career outlook for building technician
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would employ workers and buy materials for construction projects to get the best quality at the lowest price for your clients.
You’d support building managers to make sure that each stage of the construction project is completed on time.
- Estimate costs for materials, labour, equipment and overheads for use in bids for tenders
- Work with suppliers to negotiate and buy materials, equipment and labour at the best prices
- Check the quality of suppliers
- Help to plan which methods to use for each construction stage
- Draft construction plans and blueprints using computer aided design (CAD) software
- Monitor building progress against agreed completion dates
- Prepare construction sites before work begins
- Supervise teams of building contractors on site
Throught a project there would be regular update meetings with site managers and the clients which you’d also attend.
You’d have a good understanding of health and safety issues, and of building regulations.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Problem solving
- Developing a plan
- Managing resources
- Time management
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.