Career outlook for building standards officer (local authority)
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
Do you have an interest in buildings, construction and keeping people safe? Do you have good attention to detail, are able to problem solve and enjoy working with IT? If so, a job as a building standards officer may be for you.
You’d work with members of the public, architects, designers, builders and engineers as they plan and construct building projects ranging from a small house extension to a large-scale development.
What you'll do:
- Assess building plans and specifications to determine compliance with building regulations
- Prepare and issue technical reports to designers and architects
- Work with designers and architects to find the best solutions for their clients
- Visit sites to inspect building work during development
- Liaise with developers and their clients as work progresses
- If you decide that a building project does not meet regulations, you would work with the applicant to make changes to the plans and ensure the work meets the Scottish building regulations
- If a building has been damaged, for example by fire or bad weather, then you would survey the building and advise the owners what they need to do to make it safe. If it cannot be repaired then you would approve its demolition
- You may also on occasion check the safety at public venues like sports grounds, open-air events, cinemas and theatres and authorise entertainment licenses for events in terms of electrical work, structures and fire safety
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Written communication
- Making decisions
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.