Career outlook for biotechnologist
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would use your biology knowledge to come up with products and processes that improve our health, our food and our world.
Your work would depend on your specific field.
In medical biotechnology and biotherapeutics you might:
- Research genetics, proteins, antibodies, viruses, plants, fungi, bacteria and diseases
- Develop treatments for the genetic causes of disease
- Produce medicines using techniques such as cell culture and genetic modification
In environmental biotechnology you might:
- Develop micro-organisms and plants to clean polluted land or water
- Create renewable sources of energy
- Produce environmentally-friendly materials for industry
In industrial biotechnology, you might:
- Produce enzymes for use in food and drink
- Create biological detergents and dyes
- Improve animal feed
- Genetically modify crops
In all three areas, you would:
- Do practical work in a laboratory
- Use computers and technical equipment
- Write reports
- Present your research
- Keep records
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Working with technology
- Problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Taking initiative
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.