Bar person

bar worker waiter server mixologist bartender
Hospitality, catering and tourism

Career outlook for bar person

UK Salary Ranges





Currently employed in Scotland


Salary information is provided by the "National Careers Service". "Oxford Economics" supplies job forecasts and employment figures. Due to COVID-19 the jobs market is constantly changing. Some of the information may not reflect the current situation.

What's it like?

You would serve drinks to customers in pubs, clubs and hotels.

You’d take customers’ orders, serve drinks and food and take payment. It would be important to make people feel welcome, chat with them and make a good impression.

There are many different types of licensed premises such as pubs, hotels, nightclubs, social clubs, restaurants, sports clubs, leisure centres and holiday parks. Depending on the type of bar you’re working in, it might a very lively, noisy place.

You would:

  • Take customers’ orders, often memorising the order rather than writing it down
  • Serve a range of drinks and snacks including sandwiches and hot food
  • Mix and pour drinks using the bar measures
  • Carry trays of drinks over to tables
  • Collect and wash glasses
  • Keep the bar and tables clean and tidy
  • Stock up with alcoholic and soft drinks, ice and snacks like nuts and crisps
  • Use tills, collect money and give change

You might become an expert in making cocktails or learn to pour real ale and store craft beers. You could help to organise special events to attract customers such as quiz nights, karaoke or live music.

Sometimes you’d need to check a customer’s identification to ensure they are of the legal age to be there. You’d also need to be patient and firm with difficult customers who might be rowdy or drunk, and you might have to refuse to serve them.

Sometimes you might need to carry or move heavy crates, beer barrels and boxes.

Working conditions


You are likely to work shifts including evenings, weekends and public holidays. Part-time and seasonal work is commonly available. Flexible opening hours for licensed premises provide the potential for up to 24-hour opening, seven days a week (subject to local licensing).


Bars, pubs and restaurants can be very noisy, hot and crowded at key times of the day and during weekends.

UK employment status





Self employed


Search course options

Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.

Find courses

Search job opportunities

If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.

Find a job

Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.

  • Positive attitude
  • Cooperating
  • Listening
  • Verbal communication
  • Attention to detail
  • Time management
  • Taking responsibility

Skills Explorer

Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.

Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.

Use the Skills Explorer tool

Getting in

Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.


There are no formal qualifications to enter this role. Employers value a good general education.

You will also need

Under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 all staff serving/selling alcohol must receive at least two hours of basic training before they can sell/serve alcohol. Employers are expected to provide this training. 

You must be over 18 years of age to serve alcohol however you may be able to work as a glass collector and washer at a younger age.

Helpful to have

Qualifications at SCQF levels 4 to 6 or relevant work-based experience and qualifications such as a Scottish Vocational Qualification in Hospitality Services or Food and Beverage Service (SVQ level 1).