audiological scientist

Career outlook for audiologist

UK Salary Ranges





Currently employed in Scotland


Salary information is provided by the "National Careers Service". "Oxford Economics" supplies job forecasts and employment figures. Due to COVID-19 the jobs market is constantly changing. Some of the information may not reflect the current situation.

What's it like?

You would help people to hear better by testing their hearing and finding the right solution for each individual.

You would test children and adults' hearing and find out how to help each individual so their hearing improves.

You'd support people who have lost their hearing and people who have medical conditions that affect their hearing or balance.

You would:

  • Choose the best way to test a patient's hearing
  • Change the hearing tests so they're right for children and adults,
  • Check hearing, including the sound levels and the range of frequencies that the person can hear
  • Talk to your patients about other medical, physical and emotional symptoms

You'd then decide on the best solution for them - perhaps a hearing aid or learning to lip-read - and guide them through the process of adapting to it.

You would also:

  • Decide whether a person is suitable for cochlear implants or bone anchored hearing aids
  • Make an impression of a person's ear for an ear mould
  • Fit hearing aids and make modifications to ear moulds
  • Teach patients how to use their new hearing aid
  • See how the patient is getting on with the hearing aid and make changes if necessary
  • Repair faulty hearing aids
  • Increase hearing ability by using lip-reading, or other communication skills
  • Give patients information and advice on how to manage their condition

You might work with patients who need special support such as people who have lost their sight as well as their hearing or people with learning disabilities.

You might give counselling to clients and their families to help them adjust to the situation. Sometimes this part of the role is done by hearing therapists. Hearing therapists are usually based in the ear, nose and throat (ENT) department of a hospital, if it has one, and work for the National Health Service.

Some of your responsibilities may also relate to research and development and managing the audiology services.

The National Health Service salary for this role is covered by the NHS Agenda for Change pay rates. You can see information about the pay and conditions on the Audiology page on the NHS Careers website.

Working conditions


As a full-time audiologist or audiological scientist, you would typically work 37.5 hours a week. Part-time or flexible hours are often available


You would usually work in ear, nose and throat clinics, or audiology departments in hospitals. You would normally be based in a consultation room at an NHS or private hospital.

UK employment status





Self employed


Create a qualification route

We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.

Discover my route

Search course options

Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.

Find courses

Search job opportunities

If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.

Find a job

Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.

  • Supporting
  • Verbal communication
  • Written communication
  • Problem solving
  • Observation
  • Researching
  • Empathising
  • Developing a plan
  • Taking initiative
  • Analysing

Skills Explorer

Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.

Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.

Use the Skills Explorer tool

Getting in

Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.


To qualify as an audiologist in Scotland you first need an honours degree (SCQF level 10), first class or upper second class, in a science or a relevant related subject such as:

  • Maths
  • Physics
  • Biological sciences
  • Psychology
  • Linguistics
  • Speech-language.

After your degree you take the two-year fast track postgraduate diploma or masters course in audiology (SCQF Level 11).

Entry requirements for a degree (SCQF Level 9/10) are usually National 5 qualifications and at least five Highers.

Useful subjects

Many courses require:

  • Maths
  • Science subjects
  • Psychology

You will also need

To pass a PVG (Protecting Vulnerable Groups) Disclosure check.

At the end of your audiology course, you would register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) as a Clinical Scientist (Audiology).