Career outlook for architectural technologist
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
Information is unavailable
What's it like?
You would work on building projects to decide on the right technology, materials and processes to design a building for the best production and performance.
You'd support architects, surveyors and other people in the construction industry. Your work would help to ensure that the new building meets the client’s requirements, whether it is a small home extension or a huge new sports stadium.
Chartered technologists are qualified to manage design and construction projects from start to finish.
You would :
- Assess the needs of the client and do feasibility studies
- Meet other professionals and the clients at an early stage to agree on the project brief
- Prepare plans using computer-aided design (CAD) software, as well as traditional drawing methods
- Draw up a project brief and programme of work
- Investigate and advise on the most suitable materials and processes to be used
- Decide what surveys will be required and make sure they are carried out
- Contribute to planning applications and other regulatory processes
- Prepare design proposals and work on these as the project progresses
- Do risk assessments of design plans
- Help to manage contract bids and tenders
- Advise clients and the construction team
- Liaise with authorities such as local government planning officers and building inspectors
- Organise the work of the design team
As well as working on new projects once the building is in in use you would get feedback from clients and people using the building and report on the performance of the contractors.
For buildings which are in use, you'd check and analyse information about how much maintenance is needed and use it to report on how the building is performing.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Working with technology
- Working with numbers
- Attention to detail
- Developing a plan
- Taking responsibility
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.