Career outlook for air cabin crew
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would look after airline passengers and be responsible for their comfort and safety during their flight.
You'd make passengers feel welcome and safe on the aircraft, inform them about services on the flight and help them enjoy a comfortable journey.
You'd be firm and polite in telling passengers what to do in an emergency. You'd reassure them if they are nervous about flying.
Before a flight you would:
- Go a meeting about the flight and the schedule
- Check that there are enough supplies on the plane and that emergency equipment works properly
- Greet passengers and help them find seats and put their hand luggage away
- Demonstrate the emergency equipment and procedures to passengers.
- Check that passengers have fastened their seatbelts
During a flight you would:
- Make sure that passengers are comfortable and deal with any requests
- Serve food and drinks and sell duty-free items
- Deal with payments in cash, including foreign currency, and credit cards
- Make announcements on behalf of the pilot
- Calm nervous or sick passengers and give first aid
- Reassure passengers in the event of an emergency and make sure that they follow safety procedures
At the end of a flight you would:
- Make sure that passengers leave the plane safely and with all their hand luggage
- Write a flight report, including about any unusual incidents
- Add up and record details of food and drink orders, and duty-free sales
You'd need to be assertive but polite when dealing with difficult customers.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Positive attitude
- Verbal communication
- Attention to detail
- Taking responsibility
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.