Career outlook for accountant - management
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would make sure the business you work for keeps track of all its money, pays its bills and is paid by its customers. You’d find ways that the company can grow make bigger profits.
A single company would employ you as an in-house (internal) accountant.
- Prepare regular financial statements and accounts, such as profit and loss accounts
- Monitor spending, costs and budgets
- Analyse the company’s financial performance
- Forecast and plan future spending and profits
- Recommend ways to reduce costs and increase profits
- Make business decisions with other managers
- Do internal audits of various departments
- Give external auditors company reports and financial data
- Lead a team of accounting technicians and finance clerks
- Oversee the company's payroll, credit control and bookkeeping systems
You would need to have a good understanding of business. You also need to be able to clearly explain technical financial information.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Working with technology
- Problem solving
- Working with numbers
- Attention to detail
- Developing a plan
- Time management
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.