Be part of building Scotland’s international reputation. Those who work in tourism have a crucial part to play in making sure that visitors have a fantastic experience and go home to spread the word.
The impact you could make
- You can play a key role in showcasing Scotland to the world.
- You could use your skills to help visitors relax, have fun and take home memorable experiences from the amazing destinations they visit.
- You could be part of one of the fastest growing industries in Scotland and be able to help expand it and support the local communities.
The opportunities within tourism
There are many roles in demand within tourism. The industry has the potential to:
- improve relationships between nations
- create entertainment opportunities and experiences for tourists
- lead to improved happiness, well-being and education
*Sector Skills Assessment 2022
Scotland’s got a thriving tourism industry, it draws people in from all over the world.
Working in tourism gets you actively involved in all kinds of different roles.
Tourist Guide, Mercat Tours
Explore tourism jobs
We’ve pulled out some of the popular tourism jobs for you to explore.
Some things you may not know about tourism
**Association of Scottish Visitor Attractions
What subjects to take
We’ve pulled together some examples of subjects that could be useful for getting into a career in tourism.
- Modern Studies
For most jobs, you might not need specific subjects. If your school does not provide all of these subjects or you're just unsure — do not worry. There are many more subjects you can explore by using the Option Choices tool or speaking to your careers adviser in your school.
What routes you can take
There are different options you can choose from after school. We’ve pulled together some of them to help you decide which is best for you.
Tourism industry partners
Discover some of the partners within tourism and find out how they’re contributing to the industry.
Scottish Tourism Alliance
The Scottish Tourism Alliance represents over 250 organisations within the Scottish tourism industry.
Springboard is leading the misson of getting 10,000 young people ready for work by 2022.
Visit Scotland gives all the information, things to do and travel updates in Scotland.
Association of Visitor Attractions (VSVA)
The ASVA represents over 240 organisations across the country for the Visitor Attractions Sector in Scotland.