New to Scotland?

We’ve pulled together some online resources and helpful information for refugees, migrant workers and asylum seekers.

Reading time: About 4 mins

How Skills Development Scotland can help

If you need help and support as you’re looking for employment or training, Skills Development Scotland can help.

You can explore My World of Work or ask for a face-to-face appointment if appropriate – use our search to find a centre.

If you are receiving coaching support from Skills Development Scotland, your adviser can help you find out how any qualifications you have from outwith the UK compare to qualifications here in Scotland. Alternatively, you can go direct to NARIC – the UK's National Recognition Information Centre – directly, but this will incur a cost.

Need help with English?

If English isn’t your first language, you can take a course in English for Speakers of Other Languages to improve your language skills and build your confidence. Visit the ESOL website for more information and to find courses.

Visas, immigration and taxes

Help for Refugees

The Scottish Refugee Council (SRC) offers a 12 month Refugee Integration Service for people who have been granted leave to remain following an asylum claim and are currently living in Scotland.

Visit the website to find out more or call 0141 248 9799 to make an appointment.

The SRC also has an employment toolkit with useful information and a guide, Dignity and Fairness, which outlines employment rights. Both are available as downloads from the website.

Universities Scotland has published Refugees Welcome. This is for current and future students and their universities. 

Refugee integration loan

You can apply for a refugee integration loan to pay for a rent deposit or rent, household items or education and training for work. You should get in touch with your local Jobcentre Plus before applying as you may be entitled to other help too.  

Help for international students

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (CISA) has helpful advice and information for international students who are studying, or want to study, in the UK.

The Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS) also has guides on Finding your way to work and runs job search and career planning sessions online.

More useful sites