Due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, many face-to-face interviews have been cancelled. But some colleges are arranging interviews over the phone or online.
Check your emails regularly, including your junk or spam folder. This is the way colleges will let you know about upcoming interviews.
We have some top tips on how to prepare for video and phone interviews which could help. Remember that college staff are working from home and may call you from a mobile or other unknown number. If you're uncomfortable answering calls from unknown numbers, contact the college to discuss a solution.
Interviews vary according to the type of course. Many interviewers will spend some time chatting at the start of a call before asking any questions. This is to help you relax.
Here are some standard questions you should be ready to answer:
- What do you know about the subject you are applying to study?
- Why are you interested in this subject?
- Why do you want to attend this college in particular?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- Have you ever done any volunteering?
- Why is there a gap in your employment/schooling?
- What makes you more suitable for the course than another applicant with the same grades?
- What do you think will be your biggest challenge?
Remember, they’re not trying to trick you. They just want to hear that you’re ready to take the next step in your studies and are making the right choice.